Thursday, September 13, 2018

An Introduction: MCDL's Family History & Learning Center


Hello! My name is Lauren Kuntzman and I am guest blogging for Kathy Petras this week. I am new to MCDL and am the manager of the Family History & Learning Center. For my first blog post here, I thought I'd introduce myself and share some details about what you can expect from the Family History & Learning Center!

When it comes to genealogists, the first question everyone wants to know is how you got started. So, here's my genealogy "origin story..."

I've been researching my family history for nearly 20 years now. My mother and I always wanted to learn about our family's roots, and when FamilySearch came online in May 1999 it gave us the push to get started. 

I can tell you the exact moment I got "hooked" on genealogy: I was standing in Stark County District Library's genealogy department (back when it was on the first floor, surrounded by windows) with the sunlight streaming in, on a hot summer day, looking through a transcription of Columbiana County, Ohio on the 1860 Federal Census. In reviewing the household of John and Sidney Ruff (my 4th great-grandparents), I noticed an 73-year old woman named Nancy Woolf residing with them. I remember pointing Nancy out to my mother, and speculating that Nancy was Sidney's mother -- a fact which additional research later proved to be correct. 

1860 U.S. Federal Census, Knox Twp., Columbiana County, Ohio
Household of John Ruff.  Sidney (Woolf) Ruff and her mother Nancy were some of the
earliest genealogy "discoveries" I made -- and one of the reasons I got "hooked" on genealogy!

It was that moment -- the moment of re-discovering forgotten ancestors and adding a generation to my family tree -- that got me hooked and I've felt a special connection to Sidney and Nancy as they were the first ancestors I "found." Since that time, there have been many other discoveries, and I've come to specialize in researching in the Midwestern USA and France, tracking criminal ancestors, and using historic newspapers.

It was my love of genealogy that prompted me to become a librarian and, before coming to MCDL I worked as a intern and a substitute librarian at Stark County District Library, then as a Local & Family History Librarian at St. Joseph County Public Library (Indiana). Prior to obtaining my library science degree, I also earned an M.A. in Art History & Museum Studies, and was the Education & Technology Manager at the Canton Museum of Art for about a decade. In that job, I planned art classes, led museum tours, and developed partnerships with local teachers and artists -- among many other responsibilities! I like to think my past has made me a good match for MCDL's Family History & Learning Center, with my experiences in museums and libraries, and my love of genealogy, creativity, and teaching.

But that's enough about me... let me tell you a little bit about MCDL's upcoming Family History & Learning Center! Plans for the Center are nearly finalized and we hope construction will start in early 2019. When completed the Family History & Learning Center will include a digitization lab (where you can scan and preserve photos, slides, and home movies), a genealogy reading room (much like the current Franklin Sylvester room), and a makerspace (including all sorts of supplies to express your creativity), plus additional meeting and study rooms. We have Virginia Wheeler Martin (1928-2016) and her generosity to thank for making the Center possible. 

A snapshot of Jinny, c. 1951.
Virginia Wheeler Martin -- better known as "Jinny" -- grew up in Medina, before completing a BFA in painting and illustration from Miami University. She then became a stewardess for American Airlines (the first from Medina!) and, in 1954, married Capt. Barney Martin, U.S.N. (Ret.). Jinny and Barney traveled the world during Barney's naval service, eventually settling in Rancho Santa Fe, CA. But throughout her travels, Jinny maintained a strong connection to her roots in Medina County, and spent decades researching her family history. It was her love of genealogy that led to the development of MCDL's Family History & Learning Center. 


In addition to providing funding, Jinny also 
donated her personal
A unique item in Jinny's personal collection:
a postcard-sized watercolor by John Hickling.
collection of genealogy resources and research to MCDL. As we prepare for the Center, it has been my job to sort through and organize all of these materials. The collection has included hundreds of books, hundreds of photographs and negatives, dozens of research binders, and a few more "unique" artifacts. 


One of the most fascinating items that I've come across so far, has been with a postcard-sized watercolor painted by John Hickling. The inscription on back is what makes this item so charming: it was created by John for his brother Jesse, on the occasion of his birthday. I'm not yet sure how the Hicklings relate to Jinny, but I'm certain there's a familial connection there somewhere!

Back of the postcard, revealing that the watercolor was a gift from John, to his brother Jesse.  

Jinny's collection of resources will be available for research purposes once the Family History & Learning Center opens. It is my hope that the Center will help visitors discover and preserve their family's stories, while giving people the opportunity to express their own stories creatively.

Hopefully, that gives you a better idea about what to expect from the new MCDL Family History & Learning Center! I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, and helping you discover your family's stories.

In the meantime, since you now know a little bit about me, it's your turn to help me get to know you. Comment below and share your genealogy "origin story." How/why did you start researching your ancestors, and what's kept you coming back to it? What was the moment you got "hooked" on genealogy? 



A big thank you to Kathy for having me guest blog for her this week! 
-Lauren Kuntzman

No comments: