Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Genealogy Goals for 2019

Resolutions can be made at any time, but we tend to make them at the beginning of the year. Studies
have shown that by setting specific goals, we are  ten times more likely to succeed.*

My 2019 genealogy resolution, or maybe goal would be a better term, is to concentrate on organizing my genealogy files - paper and digital.

Most experts say not to worry about organizing past research, but to start with the present and go forward. But if I don't make this a priority, I may never do it. Plus it will help guide my future research.

Lisa will cover the specifics on how to organize your genealogy files next month in great detail so that is not what this post is about. She does a GREAT job in teaching this all important skill.

Generally, this is my plan of action:

  1. Dedicate a  minimum of 2 hours per week on the project. Preferably, Friday or Saturday mornings, before the rest of the household awakens. It is important to schedule time for this task.
  2. File all of my loose papers that are currently covering multiple surfaces in my home. My only consolation is that I don't have huge plastic tubs of files waiting to be organized. Seriously, an instructor at a genealogy conference a few years ago admitted that he had several large tubs waiting to be organized. His speaking topic - Organization!  
    There's more that isn't pictured!
                                                   Desk Clutter!!
    Shelf clutter.

    Unfortunately, this is only part of the clutter.
  3. Organize my digital files. I have most of my digital files in folders, but these need to be cleaned up. I use a naming scheme that works for me which needs to be  applied to ALL my files. And picture files need to be reformatted from JPEG files into a format that isn't "lossy**", such as TIFF. I want to do this before tackling my paper files, so that any papers that I want to scan can go into the newly cleaned up digital folders. 
    Some files need to be renamed, some need to be reformatted and some new folders need to be created.
  4. YES! I keep both digital and paper files. L.O.C.K.S.S. - Lots Of Copies Keep Stuff Safe. And  I back up my computer files regularly.
  5. Tackle my paper file folders. Again, I have created a system that works for me, but it needs to applied to all the file folders.  
    At least my file folders are in filing
     cabinets. At least most of them are!
  6. Tackle my binders (remember #4!) No one wants to look at file folders or even digital files, so I have created binders that family members can browse. And they need to be updated, and cleaned up, using better materials.
  7. Rest on my laurels... HECK NO! Now it is time to get back to research. 
  8. Who am I kidding? I will not stop researching during this project!
BTW, I spent 2 hours this past Saturday tackling some of the backlog of filing! WOOT! WOOT!


* Family Tree Magazine January/February 2019, page 6.

**Lossy Definition from Photokonnexion.com - *.jpg format is great for displaying the final image ...(it) contains only the data which it needs to show the image... result(s) in a smaller file that is easier and quicker for computers to use...and use small storage space... makes them good for use on the Internet... lost data is not retrievable ... Every time the file is re-edited/saved further data is lost... lost data compromises the file for archiving.

No comments: